Friday, January 27, 2012

Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey



Genre: Supernatural | Vampires


Synopsis:

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.


Review:

Okay, I'll admit, the title threw me off. It seems a tad cliche. Honestly, I wasn't going to download this novel, until I read a great review for it--go figure. Despite that, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading it. This novel is an easy read and can be knocked out in a day or two. The story didn't pick up until about half-way through, then I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed watching Jessica slowly fall in love over the course of the school year. Lucius is, of course, my favorite character. He experiences the most drastic character development. In a sense, he is the one that must sacrifice the most for what he wants. The light-hearted, carefree attitude of the American teen culture is like a drug for Lucius. He can't resist. He is tormented by his responsibilities as a vampire prince, as well as his longing for freedom. His reluctant relationship with Jessica is highlighted by the love triangle--or rather quadrangle--with two humans at school. Perhaps the aspect that I loved the most are the letters that  Lucius writes to his uncle. They are both amusing and disturbing. Beth Fantaskey has intrigued me and I will definitely read the sequel Jessica Rules the Dark Side. 



Rating: 4 out of 5 owls
Download for Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...