Monday, November 26, 2012

Review: UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn



Genre: Fairy Tales



Synopsis:
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular, and uncoordinated; that is, until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her high school status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is a descendant from the Brothers Grimm, and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business, which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her it's next fairy-tale victim.

To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.
Review:

I LOVE this book!

Those who know me personally know about my obsession with fairy tales. I even focused my thesis in college on the darker aspects of the original tales. The grimmer (pun intended) the tale, the better.

When I read the summary I was a little skeptical. It sounded like the plot of the Grimm series on NBC. But it was free, so I downloaded it. It sat in Nook Wonderland for about two months before I decided to read it. After the end I was left wondering why did I not read this earlier?! 

I immediately bought the second book, Fairest, and I will be starting it after I finish this review.  

Now, I want to be clear on several aspects concerning this wonderful, amazing, brilliant, fantastic novel. Twitter is probably mentioned six dozen times, the tales are not like a Disney movie, it is a YA book so many of the characters are petty and shallow, and if you don't like the Disney "and they lived happily ever after" endings then I will metaphorically get tickled to death by your reaction to this book. For me, the ending was the best part. The foreshadowing made it a little obvious, but that's peachy-keen for me. I won't spoil it, but know that it is grand. 

I loved how the tales took on a twist based on how Mina lived it. The stories would change based on the decisions she made. Mina experienced great character growth and became mentally stronger as the plot progressed. Brody's sweet but come on, Jared is fae. Enough said. 

Chanda's spin on the classic fairy tales is creative and exciting. I have no doubt that I will be reading this series over and over again.

Rating: 5 out of 5 owls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...