Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth



Genre: Dystopian | Teen Romance


Synopsis:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Review:
Oh my goodness, why did it take me so long to read this book?! Apparently I've been really into science fiction sub-genres lately. Maybe I just have a thing for reading about dystopian societies. Whatever the case, I couldn't put Divergent down. I was thrilled with Tris as the heroine. She was grew to become strong, yet she was always very aware of her weaknesses. It was her determination and perseverance that made her endearing. I also appreciated that she didn't rush into a relationship and she didn't fall in love quickly. For a fictional relationship, Tris and Four fell in love in a more realistic way. They have made my favorite couples list.

The structure of the government and factions is still a little foggy to me, but I expect I will understand more once I read Insurgence. The only complaint I have is the timing of the event that I can't name because it would be a total spoiler. There were some timing issues that made the climax seem a little rushed.

Despite that, the descriptions of the simulations were beautifully horrific. Divergent is full of surprises that will keep you on your toes. I felt the full spectrum of emotions while reading it and the characters made their way into my heart with ease. I can't wait to read Insurgence.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Trailer:

This is a fan-made trailer for a movie, but it works for the book as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...