Sunday, October 20, 2013

Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking



Genre: Fantasy


Synopsis:

When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She's not the person she'd always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel--all because of Finn Holmes. 

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken...though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she'd ever admit. But it isn't long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth--and he's come to take her home. 

Now Wendy's about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that's both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she's meant to become...

Review:

I will start this one off with by expressing my appreciation for Amanda's creative spin on troll legends. The "tryll" are not the gastly beasts of the common fairy tales we have all grown to love. These trolls are insanely beautiful, talented in magic, and tres chic when it comes to fashion and parties. 

I really like that Wendy came from a very tragic past. Her human mother tried to kill her when she was a child. Add that bit of drama to the fact that (like every other teenager on the planet) she cannot get past her negative self-image and low self-esteem, Wendy is definitely one angsty teen. 

After the handsome Finn comes into the picture and reveals that she is actually a changeling and must return to take over the tryll throne, Wendy's world is rocked in a way that no teen's should be. She shifts from having one mother who tried to kill her to a super rich and gorgeous mother who has no emotional attachment to her whatsoever and merely wishes to use Wendy for her own personal gain. 

Talk about some family love. I thought that given the situation Wendy handled the cards life dealt her with as much gumption and determination as possible for a teenage girl. 

My only hang up is the writing style. I wasn't too fond of it, though there were definitely quote-worthy moments. As a genre it's not what I usually read (this was my first novel about trolls), but I bought a used copy of the Torn to see what happens next. 

I've been on the fence about the rating for this one, so I'm going to give the novel a chance and give it a 4 out of 5. I'm hoping my reservations are there simply because I'm new to this sub-genre.

Rating--4 out of 5 owls



Trailer:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...