Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause



Genre: Supernatural | Werewolves


Synopsis:

Having fallen for a human boy, a beautiful teenage werewolf must battle both her packmates and the fear of the townspeople to decide where she belongs and with whom.
Having fallen for a human boy, a beautiful teenage werewolf must battle both her packmates and the fear of the townspeople to decide where she belongs and with whom.
Review:

This is the book that started it all for me. I first read Blood and Chocolate when I was a sophomore in high school. I LOVED it. By the time I finished high school I had read it over ten times.  I now read it at least once a year. There has been some debate around this novel concerning its sensual content. Vivian, the main character, is a strong teenage werewolf who relishes in the beauty of her beast. That is, until she meets Aiden, a human boy who she falls madly in love with. However, according to the laws of her pack Vivien must put aside her seeming teenage infatuation with Aiden and mate with Gabriel, the pack's new leader--a sexy hunk of man-flesh. Despite their mutual attraction for each other, Vivien is determined to resist Gabriel and make Aiden hers. 

This book combines supernatural elements with typical teenage angst and has a murder mystery appeal to it. What I appreciate most is the realistic voice that Vivien has. She is a teenager struggling to learn how to balance her role as the new alpha female and gain acceptance from her human counterparts. It is a story of self-discovery, sacrifice, and love. 

Tasty Tid-bit:
"You think you're such a stud, don't you?" she said. 
"Don't you?" he asked.
She stormed out of the kitchen to the dining room.
He followed her. "I see I'm required to court you in every room of the house."
"Not likely," she replied. 
"I'm looking forward to the bedrooms," he said.
"Go to hell!"
His grin faded. "I will court you," he said. "And I won't give up. I will wait for you like I waited for you outside that cave, and I'll follow you like I followed you home that night, keeping you safe. I will wait for you because you are meant to be mine"--his voice grew husky with desire--"and because you'll be worth the wait. Goodbye, Princess Wolf. Let me know what deeds must be done to win you."
When he'd left she could still smell him in the room as if he'd claimed her whole life. 
"I'll choose my own mate," she swore, and walked to the phone.



Rating: 5 out of 5 owls


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...