Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce



Genre: Fantasy | Fairy Tales


Synopsis:

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris—the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend—but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Review:

I've mentioned this before on my review of Sweetly, but I have to say it again--Jackson Pearce is a genius and a brilliant story teller. Her imagery is beautifully horrific, the characters are intriguing, and the story is a unique twist on a classic fairy tale. Sisters Red is a perfect blend of mystery, adventure, and romance. 

Jackson had me hooked from start to finish. I have very few negative things to say, and those are merely preferences rather than anything negative about the writing. First off--I'm not a fan of foul language, though I understand that some things just can't adequately be conveyed without it. The F-bomb is used about 3-4 times, so be warned. However, I would like to say that while I did not appreciate it, the story was still superb. The other aspect I did not appreciate was how Silas kissed both sisters. It's just one of those stupid jerk moves that just irks me. Still love Silas, though. The last nuance that typically annoys me, but was so masterfully incorporated that I quickly got over it, was the dual points of view. I don't like switching between two different perspectives. It's annoying and distracting. Yet, I have to admit that Jackson has a seamless transition that reflects the relationship between Scarlett and Rosie. 

So, while there are several aspects that usually irk me past the point of acceptance, Jackson's writing is so ensnaring that I can live with them. I love that I kept finding myself surprised.  By the end I kept thinking "wow, this book was so good."


Rating: 5 out of 5 owls









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...