Sunday, January 11, 2015

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

http://www.marissameyer.com/book/book-one/


Series: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 1)
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: Fairy Tale | Sci-Fi
Date of Publication: January 3, 2012



Synopsis:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious pass, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

Review:

Holy cow, this book is good!

And when I say good I mean that it has been years since I've read a book that I liked as much as Cinder. For a debut novel, I am thoroughly impressed by Marissa Meyer and I can only hope that when I finally publish my first book my story will be as complex and developed as hers. Marissa has created a world with multiple layers of pain, suspicion, intrigue, and romance. I don't know much about the mechanical and medical side, but it seems like Marissa did her research. I've never been a sci-fi fan, but I've always loved fairy tales and this one is a superb retelling of the classic Cinderella.

I am so glad I finally read Cinder. I'm glad I only just discovered it because there are two other books out, so I won't have to wait to continue the story. I hope to have Scarlet by the end of the week. Kudos to Marissa Meyer for a fantastic story. Her writing style flows between perspectives without any confusion--mainly because she uses third person, which I greatly appreciate. Her story-telling is top notch. I was definitely reminded of Sailor Moon in terms of the matriarchy and the nature of the villains, but the development of the lunar characters is strictly Marissa's.

There is character development, plot twists, and great mythology. It is very predictable, but the story is so good I easily looked past it. I can continue to gush, but that would be redundant. Cinder is an absolute must read. Go get it now!

Rating: 5 out of 5 owls



The Lunar Chronicles Series:

Cinder (January 2012)
Scarlet (February 2013)
Cress (February 2014)
Fairest: Levana's Story (February 2015)
Winter (Coming November 2015)


Trailer:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...